There’s nothing better than always having a great batch of crunchy granola in the house…it’s the way I grew up and naturally, how I am going to follow. Luckily, oats are gluten free (Bob’s Red Mill) so I can continue to enjoy this treat! I’ve made it enough times to learn that:
- Stirring the oats every 10 minutes is key
- Adding your nuts in the last 10 minutes prevents everything from burning (at least in my oven)
- You don’t have to follow a recipe exactly…make it your own by adding whatever nuts/fruits you desire.
Amanda’s Homemade Granola
- 4.5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup (heaping) honey
- 1 t kosher salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil (try coconut oil too)
- 1.5 cups whatever nuts & seeds you like (I use slivered almonds, sunflower seeds, pecans, walnuts)
- banana chips, craisins, coconut flakes (unsweetened), raisins or whatever dried fruit you like
Preheat oven to 375. Place the oats and salt in a large rectangular baking dish (I use a Pyrex 13 x 9-inch.) Mix the oil and honey in a bowl with a wisk. Pour mixture over the oats and mix until they are all coated.
Place in the oven. Set your timer for ten minutes and then mix with a spoon. Repeat this two more times (30 minutes total.) You want to make sure the bottom doesn’t burn so be sure to mix well. Add in the nuts and cook for another ten minutes. Remove from the oven, mix well and add the dried fruit. Let rest until cool. Store in an air tight container and in the freezer.